Re: Help with Gal 5:16

From: Eric Weiss (eweiss@gte.net)
Date: Mon Apr 27 1998 - 18:17:44 EDT

I had never thought to translate Galatians 5:16 with an imperative as
Carl suggested, but a quick search on Bible Gateway and the NET Bible
shows that the RSV at least suggests this translation; but every other
translation in this admittedly small sample suggests outcome rather than
command:

NIV So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires
of the sinful nature.
RSV But I say, walk by the Spirit, and do not gratify the desires of the
flesh.
KJV This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the
lust of the flesh.
DBY (Darby) But I say, Walk in [the] Spirit, and ye shall no way fulfil
flesh's lust.
YLT (Young's) And I say: In the Spirit walk ye, and the desire of the
flesh ye may not complete;
NASB But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not carry out the
desire of the flesh.
NET (New English Translation www.bible.org) But I say, live by the
Spirit and you will
not carry out the desires of the flesh.