Re: Middle/Passive in Ro 9:22

From: Mark O'Brien (
Date: Sat May 02 1998 - 09:14:32 EDT

At 08:45 AM 5/1/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Now with regard to KATHRTISMENA, I really think the context points toward
>its having a passive sense: 9:19-21 provides the image of the potter and
>the clay, and it seems difficult to me, considering the image of the
>craftsman, to suppose that the clay is assuming its shape of its own
>volition. If that's the case, isn't it more reasonable to undertand
>KATHRTISMENA as passive?

Upon further reflection, I think you're right here... the context does
seem to point towards the passive, and a reflexive sense just wouldn't fit.
 (Context, context, context, eh?)

Thanks also, Carl for your clarification of your thoughts on the M/P issue.
 I need to go over this again more carefully. Also thanks to Dale for
explaining the Gramcord tagging in this case.

Rev. Mark B. O'Brien
Assoc. Pastor, Subiaco Church of Christ, Western Australia
Lecturer, South Perth Christian College, Western Australia
To attack a man for talking nonsense is like finding your mortal enemy
drowning in a swamp and jumping in after him with a knife. --Karl Popper