RE: LXX versions?

From: Edgar M. Krentz (emkrentz@mcs.com)
Date: Tue May 05 1998 - 01:47:40 EDT

James,

Does the Brenton include all that the Rahlfs does, e.g. the Psalms of
Solomon, all four books of Maccabees, etc.?
Since I have never used the Brenton and cannot therefore recommend it to
students, I am interest ed in that information.

Thanks, Ed Krentz

>If you just want a Greek text for reading, most people would
>recommend the Rahlfs edition, which you can get from the
>Bible Society. If you want an English translation in parallel
>columns, Brenton is pretty much it, and I'm not sure the text
>is much worse than Rahlfs anyway. Whichever you use,
>you're going to have to hit the libraries to check the
>editiones majores to check the text if you're doing scholarly
>writing. Rahlfs at least has a rudimentary apparatus
>criticus, which the Brenton edition does not; and the type
>is marginally more readable in Rahlfs; but the current
>reprint of Brenton is not bad--a usable hardcover that lies
>open nicely. If you want to be able to scan context
>quickly in English and focus on the Greek where it interests
>you, or to practice reading the Greek with the English
>covered and peek at the English when you get stuck,
>Brenton is handy.
>
>I believe that a major new English translation of the LXX
>is in the works somewhere, but I can't recall the details.
>I'm guessing we won't see it for a few years yet. Meanwhile,
>using your NRSV or whatever as a help with the LXX isn't
>such a good idea since it's not translating the same text.

>James D. Ernest
>Senior editor, academic books, Hendrickson Publishers
>Ph.D. cand., Boston College
>S-MAIL: c/o Hendrickson Publishers, 140 Summit Street,
> P. O. Box 3473, Peabody, MA 01961-3473 USA
>FAX: 978/573-8243 PHONE: 978/573-2243
>E-MAIL: jernest@hendrickson.com / ernest@bc.edu
>

>>----------

Edgar Krentz
Professor of New Testament
Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago
Telephone: (773) 256-0752
Office: ekrentz@lstc.edu [preferred for anything professional]
Home access is functioning well again; go back to using it.
Home: emkrentz@mcs.com [Tel: 773-947-8105]
GHRASKW AEI MAQWN. I grow older, learning all the time.