Re: Wearing Down of the Head

From: Jim West (
Date: Wed May 06 1998 - 15:06:00 EDT

At 01:19 PM 5/6/98 -0500, you wrote:
>I don't have BDF, I'm afraid, but my understanding of the etymology of KATA
>is that it primarily relates to "leaning against", hence "according to", as
>in, rising and falling together (I Cor 3:8,10). (So it might read
>"...prophesying according to head holding").

Well and good- but etymology does not always describe how words are USED.
For only one example- the word "gay" etymologically meant happy or carefree-
but I suspect that if you went to a friend and said "i am gay" they might
not take into account the etymology of the word!

>Wouldn't you phrase "hair hanging down from the head" more like the similar

Perhaps. But Paul and Luke are different authors with differing styles.

>Where is the "APO" or "EK" preposition that this begs?

it is not necessary- and is included in the 'kata'

>Where is "TRIKWN" (hair)?

It is understood from the present context. Again, and to all, words have
usage, not meaning.

>Why such an obscure way of saying a simple, literal device?

That's Paul fer ya!!!!

>It doesn't seem that Paul was going out of his way to say something in a
>confusing manner, but that he was simply saying something different.

Not at all. He said it as straightforwardly as the old devil could.

Jim West, ThD
Quartz Hill School of Theology