Re: Wallace & 1 John 5:20

From: Glen Riddle (glen1@flash.net)
Date: Sat May 02 1998 - 14:39:39 EDT

Chris A Vlachos wrote:

> Does anybody on the list have access to Wallace's dissertation, "The
> Article with Multiple Substantives . . . "? Does Wallace believe 1
> John 5:20 fits Sharp's rule? I believe he discusses this verse on pp.
> 271-77. Thanks.
>
> Chris Vlachos
> Instructor of NT Greek
> Utah Institute for Biblical Studies
> (Salt Lake Seminary)

> Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

  Specifically, Wallace says on pg. 277, "In conclusion, 1 John 5:20
apparently contains a legitimate TSKS construction. This construction
conforms both to the requirements of Sharp's rule and evidently has the same
semantic force, viz. referential identity. Further, it seems that the
antecedent of ["this"] is [Jesus Christ]. Our conclusion is, then, that
First John ends with an affirmation of Jesus Christ as the true God and
eternal life. Nevertheless, in light of the scarcity of syntactical
parallels to 1 John 5:20, this conclusion is more tentative than for Titus
2:13 or 2 Pet 1:1."
blessings,
glen riddle