Re: 1 Cor. 12:2

From: George Athas (
Date: Wed May 13 1998 - 19:17:32 EDT

EQNH is used here in a way that is similar to the way we can use the
word "barbarian" - it can mean "non-Greek" or simply "brutish". The word
"Gentile" can mean either "non-Jew" or "heathen/pagan". I don't think
Paul is saying here that the Corinthians are now Jews because they are
ex-Gentiles. He is saying that they are ex-pagans because they are now

Best regards!
George Athas
 PhD (Cand.), University of Sydney
 Tutor of Hebrew, Moore Theological College
Phone: 0414 839 964 ICQ#: 5866591
Visit the Tel Dan Inscription Website at