Re: Compound Verb Complements

From: Carl W. Conrad (
Date: Sat May 30 1998 - 15:23:12 EDT

At 2:49 PM -0400 5/30/98, Donald W Price wrote:
>Hello B-Greekers:
>I have another question regarding which I would like some advice.
>In compound verbs, where either APO and EK are prefixed to the front of
>the verb, is it true that all such verbs
>still are used only with an ablative object? The reason I ask is that
>in Acts 2:33, Luke records that :
>"exeechen touto" = "he hath poured forth this..."
>If APO and EK are used only with the ablative, why is TOUTO not

No, you need to learn the verbs each by their own idiosyncratic nature. In
the above instance TOUTO is a direct object of EKCEW; an ablatival
genitive, if used will construe with a preposition such as APO or EK/EX
that requires it.

Carl W. Conrad
Summer: 1647 Grindstaff Road/Burnsville, NC 28714/(828) 675-4243 OR