RE: "semantic domain"

From: Pete Phillips (p.m.phillips@cliff.shef.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Jun 01 1998 - 04:49:32 EDT

Let me get this right: you are suggesting that in Greek there is a
superordinate term to cover all aspects of love and that FILOS, STORGE and
FILOSTORGIA (why limit it to these - how about AGAPH and EROS and other
love/like concepts?) are subcategories of this superordinate. You are then
suggesting that while English has the superordinate "Love" to cover all its
own subcategories, Greek does not have a lexeme to act as a symbol of the
superordinate category? If this is the case, does it not suggest that
Greek did not have the superordinate category at all in the first place.
 If Greeks had no way of conceptualizing the (superordinate) concept (i.e.
a lexeme) then it would seem that the concept is non-existent.

We would then be forced back to the idea that what we do have is a series
of overlapping semantic domains, or overlapping categories where the
category distinctions blur into one another - e.g. FILOS and EROS seem to
share more attributes than do EROS and AGAPH - the category boundaries are
therefore more blurred between FILOS and EROS than between EROS and AGAPH.
 In English this series of overlapping categories is to some extent
replaced by the superordinate category "love". (This might suggest
something about Greek conceptual awareness and English-speakers conceptual
awareness).

I wonder whether we will ever get to the heart of this. We're all talking
different scripts - I am using cognitive linguistics, you
psycholinguistics, others other linguistics. It's almost as if we need a
universal translator to understand our own use of a common language!!! :>)

Pete Phillips,
Lecturer in NT,
Cliff College, Calver, Derbyshire, UK
Tel: 01246 582321