Re: Quirky Case

From: Carlton Winbery (
Date: Fri Jun 05 1998 - 05:40:52 EDT

>I need exmaples of verbs which assign a Case other than accusative to their
>object. AKOUW, for example, sometimes assigns genitive. PISTEUW usually
>assigns dative. AKOLOUQEW is often used with a dative.
>Do any of you have a list of verbs which would fit this category? If not,
>do you have a few favorite examples?
>Thanks for any help you can provide.

In syntax books, look the Genitives or Datives of root idea. There should
be several examples listed.

In Brooks & Winbery we list for genitives examples with AKOUW, EPIQUMEW,
BASILEUW,and KOINOW. With the dative examples are DOULEUW, ARESKW,
BOHQEW, APEIQEW, and I think maybe with the prep. EN Matt. 10:32

Carlton L. Winbery
Fogleman Professor of Religion
Louisiana College
Pineville, LA 71359