re: adjectives

From: Jim West (jwest@Highland.Net)
Date: Tue Jun 09 1998 - 11:36:25 EDT

Thanks for the help. My main interest is historical. I am curious
specifically about how the masculine and feminine forms of the adjective
were compressed into one form. So I offer the following reconstruction and
ask for any clarification you all can offer:

1- in the earliest stages, certain adjectives used both masculine and
feminine forms. I.e., certain adjectives were used only of males and others
were used only of females.

2- at some point, adjectives which were only applied to males began to be
applied to females, and vice versa.

3- At some point this usage forced the case endings of the feminine form to
be abandoned in favor of the masculine form.

But why?

Jim West, ThD
Adjunct Professor of Bible
Quartz Hill School of Theology