Re: 1 Tim 2:12

From: Paul R. Zellmer (
Date: Sun Jun 28 1998 - 17:43:54 EDT

Ward Powers wrote:
> The point I make is that in verses 11-15 ANHR and GUNH are singular (NOT
> plural), are referring to the headship of the man in the one-flesh
> husband-wife relationship, and that this understanding of ANHR and GUNH in
> this passage is indicated by the immediate context (in which there is
> nothing to suggest a reference to a worship-service or other "church"
> context), by the close parallels with 1 Pet 3:1-7, and also by other NT
> passages about the headship of the husband and the submission of the wife,
> a submission which is always and only to her own husband, not to other men.

I would like to thank Ward for a posting which (1) touched on a very
controversial issue in a non-aggressive way, (2) added valid areas of
study and consideration to the issue, and (3) gave evidence with a
synopsis of its value AND references for further investigation. Very
nicely done, Ward.

Ibanag Translation Project
Cabagan, Isabela, Rep. of Philippines