Re: To Interpret or Not To Interpret, That is The question

From: Jonathan Robie (jonathan@texcel.no)
Date: Fri Jul 03 1998 - 11:25:22 EDT

At 11:00 AM 7/3/98 -0400, David L. Moore wrote:
>At 09:46 AM 7/3/98 -0400, Jonathan Robie wrote:

>I also understand Jonathan to be saying that any theological conclusions,
>although possibly implicit from what is discussed, are not the stuff of
>B-Greek; and discussions or threads in which theology is the primary focus
>are off-topic for the list.

There's no problem with talking about what the author of a passage intended
to say. Things that get a lot more high falutin' than that probably don't
belong here.

>As I recall, earlier editions of this purpose
>statement read, "Anyone interested in New Testament studies...." This
>slight change of focus was done, I assume, on the prerogative of the
>current list owner and b-greek staff. I hope, however, that, in this new
>focus, we don't get so caught up in examining and defining the key of
>knowledge which is the Greek language as to forget to open the door of
>understanding which is the meaning of the New Testament.

New Testament Studies includes all kinds of things, including New Testament
Theology, historical critical method, textual criticism, and many other
things that don't really belong here.

I don't know how to discuss "the meaning of the New Testament" in a diverse
group like the one we have here, but we might have half a chance of
figuring out what the meaning of a particular verse or a particular word is.

Jonathan