RE: follow up

From: Adam, Professor AKM (AKM.Adam@PTSEM.EDU)
Date: Thu Jul 02 1998 - 15:29:17 EDT

Colleagues,

Noting that the is supposed to be a discussion of Greek, I would simply
add that LSJG shows no basis for regarding TAMEION as "privy" (the
closest they give is "closet," but I see no implication here other than
a small closed room).

Having said that, it's hard to imagine having space enough in a
first-century dwelling-place to dedicate some of your precious square
feet to excretion. I know little about Palestinian or Greco-Roman
archaeology, but I know that space was at a premium.

Grace and peace,
A K M Adam
akm.adam@ptsem.edu
Princeton Theological Seminary

"He didn't have any use for history because he never expected to meet it
again."
Flannery O'Connor, "A Late Encounter with the Enemy"