RE: follow up

From: Jim West (jwest@Highland.Net)
Date: Thu Jul 02 1998 - 15:46:39 EDT

At 03:29 PM 7/2/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Colleagues,
>
>Having said that, it's hard to imagine having space enough in a
>first-century dwelling-place to dedicate some of your precious square
>feet to excretion. I know little about Palestinian or Greco-Roman
>archaeology, but I know that space was at a premium.
>
>Grace and peace,
>A K M Adam

As Ed Krentz pointed out over on Graphai, in some Roman houses the toilet
was in the kitchen. So there seems to be some reason to suspect that, even
in small houses, there would have been a room for the necessary business of
daily life. Into this room, it is not hard to imagine, one would take a
chamber pot. I am not suggesting that there were separate "bathrooms" in
the modern sense. I am just wondering, to get back to the original point,
as to whether or not it is "possible" that Jesus is poking fun at the
ostentation of the Pharisees by telling "his" disciples to do their praying
where they do their ( a p word comes to mind, but the alliteration isn't
worth the hassle :-) ).

Best,

Jim

Jim West, ThD