Re: Recognition: 2d Aorist

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@popalex1.linknet.net)
Date: Wed Jul 08 1998 - 05:23:10 EDT

Jonathan wrote;

>Two questions: (1) does the 2d Aorist ALWAYS have a different stem from the
>aorist, or are there verbs for which the stems are identical? (2) are there
>some useful heuristics for finding the verb if I don't recognize it, or
>should I just use an analytical lexicon at this point?

I do not recall seeing the specific answer to these questions.

To (1) is yes to the first part and no to the second.

To (2) is that if you use and eg. from the NT like EBALES, you can find the
first person singular the UBS dictionary which I let beginners use, EBALON
with a reference to BALLW. I also require students to make a list of such
words and memorize all forms that are used in the book that we are
translating at the moment.

Carlton L. Winbery
Fogleman Professor of Religion
Louisiana College