Re: Theme/Rheme

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue Jul 07 1998 - 07:47:38 EDT

pwiles wrote:

> My question is, has anyone done or is anyone aware of any work
> discussing whether the Greek clause realises Theme by way of initial
> position?

Perry,

I would take a look at the following:

Timothy Friberg, New Testament Greek Word Order in Light of Discourse
Considerations, University of Minnesota, 1982.

Friberg may or may not use Systemic Functional analysis, but he will address
your question.

Also see Porter's chapter on word order in:

Stanely E. Porter, Idioms of the Greek New Testament, Sheffield, second
edition, 1995.

And also see Pages 214-218 in

Richard A. Young, Intermediate New Testament Greek, Broadman, 1994.

Two other works worth checking are:

John Beekman, John Callow, and Michael Kopesec, The Semantic Structure of
Written Communication, 5th rev., SIL Dallas, 1981.

Peter Cotterell and Max Turner, Linguistics and Biblical Interpretation,
InterVarsity 1989

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point