Re: HO LOGOS - The Marshal(ler)

From: Ben Crick (ben.crick@argonet.co.uk)
Date: Thu Jul 09 1998 - 22:53:29 EDT

On Wed 8 Jul 98 (07:40:04), jonathan@texcel.no wrote:
> It would be a lot more convincing if he could show some examples of
> LOGOS where it clearly has the meaning "Marshall".

 It suddenly occured to me where I had met this word Marshal before!
 Not in the sense of a General or a Field-Marshal, but in the Hebrew root
 MaShaL. Apart from the meaning "to rule; to become conformed to" it also
 means a solemn declaration; a decision; a rule; a byword; a taunt; or a
 proverb, GNWMH.

 Perhaps it is LOGOS in the sense of GNWMH that the originator of this
 thread had in his subconscious mind?

 RC Trench, /Synonyms.../, gives only LALIA, FWNH and MUQOS as synonyms
 for LOGOS. In BAGD, the definition of GNWMH seems to chime in with the
 "marshal" or "marshaller" idea under discussion. It connotes intention or
 purpose; a creative plan even...

 Or am I way out here?

 Ben

--