Re: Christianities

From: Jonathan Robie (jonathan@texcel.no)
Date: Fri Jul 10 1998 - 08:00:23 EDT

At 07:21 AM 7/10/98 -0400, Carl W. Conrad wrote:
>At 7:08 AM -0400 7/10/98, Jonathan Robie wrote:

>Jonathan, I really believe this may be a mistake--to encourage on-list
>I don't really think he's asking about what PISTIS means in the Jude
>passage.

I admit to intentionally bending his question. I guess *I* am interested in
what PISTIS means in this passage.

>We'll see what transpires, but I have a feeling this may unleash
>some flood gates (I am more apprehensive than I should be, but I can see a
>30K treatise by Ward Powers coming about PISTIS in Jude 3 which I expect to
>be informed by convictions rather than ordinary hard exegesis.

Carl, did you mean for this response to go on list? This looks like a
message you intended to send in private. At any rate: I would encourage
everybody to PLEASE keep their responses reasonably short, and limit them
to the meaning of PISTIS in Jude 3.

>>L&N, which I have in Gramcord, gives these glosses for PISTIS:
>>
>>pistis, ews
>>
>> a what can be believed 31.43 [L&N...2723]
>> b trust 31.85 [L&N...2765]
>> c trustworthiness 31.88 [L&N...2768]
>> d Christian faith 31.102 [L&N...2782]
>> e doctrine 31.104 [L&N...2784]
>> f promise 33.289 [L&N...3138
>>
>>In Jude 3, is one of these glosses intended? If so, which one? Is there any
>>indication that PISTIS means a systematic doctrine in James 3? It's
>>intriguing to think about L&N's definition of Christian faith (31.102) -
>>to believe in the good news about Jesus Christ and to become a follower -
>>`to be a believer, to be a Christian, Christian faith.'

Jonathan