Re: Reitzenstein Poimandres 1904

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 02 1998 - 10:42:32 EDT

At 9:56 AM -0400 7/02/98, Steven Cox wrote:
>Does anyone know anything about Reitzenstein's Poimandres 1904
>cited in BAGD? It is not listed in LSJ.
>The absence from LSJ and the title suggest it is a patristic
>collection of some kind?

I don't know about Reitzenstein's edition, but the Poimandres is a Hermetic
tract, generally used to illustrate the background of the development of
gnostic systems. I don't have the exact title anywhere handy, but you the
Editio Maior of that Hermetic stuff was published, I think, by Oxford in
the 40's or 50's as _Hermetica_. There's a translation of the Poimandres in
the commonly-used NT sourcebook by Barrett, _The NT Background_.

Carl W. Conrad
cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu