Re: Fwd: Taped NT

From: Jonathan Robie (jonathan@texcel.no)
Date: Wed Jul 15 1998 - 14:26:25 EDT

At 12:26 PM 7/15/98 -0400, Jim West wrote:
>At 08:16 AM 7/15/98 -0700, you wrote:
>>Jonathan Robie wrote:
>>
>>> Since SunSITE has a RealAudio server, if someone recorded the Greek New
>>> Testament, we could serve it up from here.
>>
>>> I might consider recording a short book myself as part of Little Greek
101,
>>> but the entire GNT is much too much time for me.
>
>That might be a worthwhile project. But, what pronunciation scheme would it
>follow? Erasmian (the pronunication I learned); modern ? I guess it really
>wouldn't matter (though it might!).

It might be important to use the same pronunciation throughout. Note that
individuals often have very different Erasmian pronunciations. This would
probably imply some kind of auditions.

I went down this path once upon a time in another context, and we found
that some of the people who were eager to read had very strange pronunciation.

The other possibility, perhaps more in keeping with B-Greek, would be to
let anybody who wants record in whatever pronunciation they prefer, and
just label the recordings as modern or Erasmian. Of course, for the modern
pronunciation, it would be ideal to have a native Greek. For the Erasmian,
it would be ideal to have Erasmus.

>If there is sufficient interest in such a project, I would be happy to
>record some book (there would only need to be 27 volunteers and the project
>could be completed in fairly good time).

>Maybe Jonathan can make a sign up sheet- and those interested can let him
>know what they will record so that work is not duplicated.

I would not want to coordinate this - it's more work than I can afford
right now. If anyone wants to commit to recording a book, just announce
which book you are recording on B-Greek before you start. Use this format:

        [record] 1 john

That makes it easy to search for [record] in the archives and find which
books are already being recorded.

Jonathan

jonathan@texcel.no
Texcel Research