Re: 1 Corinthians 7:27,28

From: Mr. Lemuel G. Abarte (
Date: Wed Aug 05 1998 - 20:00:21 EDT

My understanding is that the Hebrew custom made betrothal technically a marriage before sexual relations take place (Matthew 1:19).

But APOLUO and its cognates seem to mean that the case of separation is really called divorce (Matthew 19:1-15; Mark 10:1-12).

The Graeco-Roman custom allowed the woman to divorce her husband.

It seems that the second part of 1 Corinthians 7:27 does not rule out that the man did live with his wife for sometime as husband and wife, that a divorce took place, and he is a divorcee. My understanding of MH ZHTEI GUNAIKA is that the divorcee should not be in a hurry to marry again.