Re: Holy Spirit - "He" or "it?"

From: Jim West (jwest@Highland.Net)
Date: Wed Aug 19 1998 - 09:29:17 EDT

At 09:40 AM 8/19/98 -0700, you wrote:
>In Greek, John 16:13a says: "hOTAN DE ELQHi EKEINOS, TO PNEUMA THS
ALHQEIAS...," which is translates "When He (or that One), the Spirit of
truth, comes..."
>Others say that the EKEINOS in this verse is not referring to the
appositive PNEUMA, but its supposed antecedent PARAKLHTOS (Counselor, a
masculine word) from verse 7. Hence, no theological statement is made; John
would just be conforming to the rules of Greek grammar.

This is the correct reading of the verse.

>So my question is: does EKEINOS refer to the PNEUMA of verse 13 (which
would be theologically significant) or the PARAKLHTOS of verse 7 (which
would be grammatically correct)?

to paraklhtos.

Jim West, ThD
Adjunct Professor of Bible
Quartz Hill School of Theology

"es ist Schuld und VerhŐngnis aller Kirchen, dass sie zu viel Dogmatik und
zu wenig Jčngerschaft praktizieren" E. KŐsemann