Re: Sentence Adverbs

From: Larry Swain (
Date: Thu Aug 13 1998 - 16:55:01 EDT

Maybe this will help: if you actually are diagramming the sentence, the
sentence adverbial would go in front of the subject.

Like this: (which is an off the cuff example so probably not the best,
but perhaps you'll get the idea)

Practically, to use a lexicon is best.

Practically/to use/is/best

Not the best example, but I hope it helps. Further, it has been argued
that a sentence adverbial could be read as modifying the verb since that
carries the main idea of the sentence, but I like the other way better.