Re: The Adverbial EUQUS in Mark 1:21

From: Kyle Dillon (
Date: Wed Sep 02 1998 - 00:16:04 EDT

-----Original Message-----
From: <>
To: Biblical Greek <>
Date: Tuesday, September 01, 1998 6:16 PM
Subject: The Adverbial EUQUS in Mark 1:21

>I have some posts I am going to be sending to the board for comment and
>discussion. Hopefully it will make things more interesting for everyone.
>I thought I would use a more organized format, so that most of the issues
>clear in everyone's mind, and you'll know precisely what I am after.
>Translation: "Indeed, as soon as it was Sabbath he entered into the
>and started to teach."
>Grammatical Notes
>Nothing significant for this discussion, but I will mention that B and A
>as above, while aleph* and aleph-copy omit EISELQWN with EDIDASKEN (copy),
>EDIDAXEN (*) occurring after SABBASIN, "he taught as he entered [or, on his
>way into] the synagogue."
>Translation Comparison
>RSV - "And immediately on the Sabbath he entered the synagogue and taught."
>NIV - "And when the Sabbath came, Jesus went into the synagogue and began
> teach."
>The Problem
>RSV translates the adverbial EUQUS as "immediately," but NIV does not
>translate it at all. NIV also does not translate EUQUS in Mark 1:10 or
>but it does translate it in 1:12, 18, 20, 23, 28, 29, 42 and 43. Other
>chapters were not considered for this study.
>Question: Why do you think NIV ignored EUQUS in Mark 1:21, which seems to
>an element of urgency and importance to Jesus' desire to teach at this
>and in this place?

>Greg Stafford

That is a good question. Maybe the NIV translation committe thought that it
was unnecessary to include a translation of EUQUS in some contexts. I don't
think they had any particular doctrine in mind when they omitted it though.

And since we are discussing the translation of this verse, I think that the
most literal translation of Mark 1:21 would read, "And on the Sabbaths, he
went straight into the synagogue and taught [or 'began to teach']." This
translation shows the weekly urgency to enter the synagogues on the Sabbath.
It also shows that Jesus stayed at Capernaum for more than one Sabbath.

Kyle Dillon