EIS hUBRIN in LXX Proverbs 19:18

From: Kevin L. Barney (klbarney@sprynet.com)
Date: Sat Sep 05 1998 - 17:48:24 EDT

Hi, all. I'm a new member of the list. I've only lurked for a few days, but I have poked around in the archives a fair bit, so I think I have a sense for the tone here. This is obviously a very knowledgeable group.

I studied classics in college (Latin major, Greek minor). Now I'm an attorney with a Chicago law firm. I'm going to be teaching a course in New Testament Greek at my Church this fall (which is one of the main motivations for my joining this list). I am hoping to refresh my rather rusty Greek in a hurry. It's nice to know that this resource is available for difficult questions I may not be able to handle on my own.

Speaking of questions, I have one for the list. I'm on another list where the issue of the meaning of Proverbs 19:18 came up. The question arose because the KJV reads "Chasten thy son while there is hope, and let not thy soul spare for his crying," while most other translations refer to the possible death of the son. Some interpret the Hebrew as meaning that you shouldn't go overboard with your punishment and kill him, as in the New Jerusalem Bible: "While there is hope for him, chastise your child, but do not get so angry as to kill him." Others suggest that you should not desire your child's death, as the NASB: "Discipline your son while there is hope, And do not desire his death." The KJV "crying" seems to be mistaken.

In pursuing this further, I looked at the LXX, which reads as follows: PAIDEUE hUION SOU hOUTWS GAR ESTAI EUELPIS EIS DE hUBRIN MH EPAIROU THi YUCHi SOU.

I would render "Teach your son, for in this there will be hope, but do not raise your soul into hUBRIN." What does hUBRIN mean here? Is the noun used in an active sense, referring to the father (insolence, arrogance, anger), or is it used in a passive sense, referring to the son (shame, insult, mistreatment)? I tend to think the former, but the passage seems ambiguous to me (perhaps I am being influenced by the ambiguity of the Hebrew, which is what I looked at first).

Thanks for any insight you can provide me. I will look forward to participating on the list (occasionally--it is very high volume and a little hard to keep up with for those of us with jobs and families <grin>).

Kevin L. Barney
Hoffman Estates, Illinois
klbarney@sprynet.com