Re: Majority Text

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 11 1998 - 11:20:28 EDT

At 9:54 AM -0500 9/11/98, Martin Gallagher wrote:
>What is the status/feeling/argument regarding the Majority Text
>approach as opposed to NA27, UBS4?

Technically speaking, this is a text-critical question rather than a proper
B-Greek question: I say that because I'm sure that B-Greekers won't take
any unanimous position on this question; it will depend in part on whether
they think the testimony of the oldest MSS is more important or whether
they think the testimony of the majority of MSS is more important, even if
those MSS are mostly relatively recent. Generally speaking, those favoring
the Majority Text tend to be quite conservative theologically, while those
favoring the NA27/UBS4 text are less conservative or not at all
conservative.

I hope that conveys an answer to your question, while also indicating that
this is hardly a matter on which it is appropriate to determine any sort of
consensus view of listmembers--if we did that, someone might get the
strange notion that a consensus opinion is more likely to be right--and
that's a notion that is not only strange but somewhat dangerous, IMHO.

Carl W. Conrad