Re: OUAI = "DAMN"?

From: Jim West (jwest@Highland.Net)
Date: Mon Sep 14 1998 - 09:10:36 EDT

At 08:39 AM 9/14/98 -0700, you wrote:
> If "damn" doesn't carry the
>sense of the Greek, we must look elsewhere than to "woe" in order to make the
>translation into contemporary idiom, don't you think?
>Jane Harper

that would be true if Woe were an obsolete word. But it isnt. The
relatively educated pew sitter (the audience of Jesus) would know quite well
what it meant. And they would also know what "damn you" meant. And they
would know the difference between the two.

Jim West, ThD
Quartz Hill School of Theology