Re: John 12:27

From: Carlton Winbery (
Date: Fri Sep 18 1998 - 11:49:02 EDT

John M. Harkins wrote;

>I am new to the list and with this letter I cease to be a lurker.
>Translations commonly render EK THS hWRAS TAUTHS "from this hour"
>(separation). I have come upon a commentator who believes that the
>rendering "throughout this hour" (duration of time)is a more plausable
>rendering. The reason given is the meaning of the basic meaning of
>the Greek expression as "out of this hour". No further explanation. The
>commentator also offers the same rendering for Revelation 3:10.
>Question: what is the gramatical strength of rendering EK with genitive
>as duration of time rather than separation?

The use of EK + genitive (ablative) to mean time thru which would be rare.
During the years 1976-78 I looked at every preposition in the GNT in
context. I do not have in my notes any example of such a use. I think
surely if the Johannine writer meant time thru which he would have used DIA
+ genitive. The closest use of EK + genitive to this idea is in Acts 9:33
EK ETWN OKTW "for eight years." But that use seems to be more like "from
eight years ago." Another expression with EK is in Mark 9:21 EK PAIDIOQEN
"from childhood." Again the sense of duration is not there.

Carlton L. Winbery
Fogleman Professor of Religion
Louisiana College
Pineville, LA 71359