Re: Verbal Aspect and Imperatives

From: Jonathan Robie (
Date: Wed Sep 30 1998 - 22:50:04 EDT

>Ed Gorham wrote:
>>Porter's "Idioms" is a good book for showing how the tenses are not
>>necessarily temporal...he catalogs many instances, for example, where the
>>aorist is used in a present sense. But I wish he'd explain a little more
>>on the positive side of the argument for aspect, rather than simply de-bunk
>>the older paradigms.

I think you hit the nail on the head. After reading Porter's thesis, and
then his Idioms, I felt he did little to show how tense and aspect are
conveyed by Greek grammar; instead, he tried to debunk traditional
frameworks without providing a new one.

At 10:53 AM 9/30/98 -0700, Dale M. Wheeler wrote:

>Let me suggest that the model presented by Fanning (Verbal Aspect) and BDF
>is very sound for understanding the Imp'v in the NT; following is the
>section from my syntax notes contained in Bible Companion/GRAMCORD for
>Windows on the Imp'v. Hope this helps.

I really like these notes. The Bible Companion/GRAMCORD notes are very
clear, practical, and helpful. I have used them quite a bit.

Texcel Research