Re: Earliest New Testament Manuscripts

From: Troy DeJongh (
Date: Tue Sep 01 1998 - 08:12:14 EDT

On Mon, 31 Aug 1998, clayton stirling bartholomew wrote:

> B-Greekers,
> Have any of you laid eyes on this book? I would like some testimony form an
> eyewitness before I purchase it as a pig in a poke so to speak. It does look
> like a tempting title.
> Thanks,
> Clay
> ****Entry From CBD Web Catalog****
> The Complete Text of the Earliest New Testament Manuscripts
> Philip W. Comfort & David P. Barrett, eds.
> Retail Price: 49.99
> CBD Price: 24.95
> A Greek transcription of 55 of the earliest
> New Testament manuscripts. Two-thirds of the original New
> Testament is here, and many of its portions are dated
> nearly 200 years earlier than the Codex Vaticanus and
> Sinaiticus.
> **********

This book isn't published yet, and it looks like it'll be another half-year
yet or so (April 1, 1999) before we'll see it. Bummer. :-(

(Or were you looking for opinions from somebody who reviewed the
unpublished manuscripts)?

This book has been sitting in the catalogs at Baker Books and other book
distributors (e.g. Amazon) for quite a while now. In my ASCII wishlist of
books I have this book listed as available in July 1998 (I think I cut-and-
pasted that date from several months ago). So
they must be running behind.

Troy DeJongh