Re: [Fwd: Re: EGW EIMI in GJohn (was Present tence copulative

From: Ben Crick (
Date: Wed Sep 02 1998 - 14:50:42 EDT

On Tue 1 Sep 98 (18:27:40), wrote:
> Now I can sort of make out a repeated phrase in the Hebrew for Isaiah
> 43:25: ANoQiY, ANoQiY. Can someone comment on this phrase? How does it
> compare to the EGW EIMI EGW EIMI?

 The Hebrew language lacks superlatives. To express a superlative, Hebrew
 simply repeats the adjective. The same applies to adverbs; AMHN AMHN LEGW

 To emphasize a verb, Hebrew uses the infinitive-absolute construction:
 "in blessing I will bless thee...": EI MH EULOGWN EULOGHSW SE (Hebrews 6:14,
 Genesis 22:17).

 To emphasize a pronoun, Hebrew just repeats it: "I, even I..."; or uses the
 formula already noted, 'aNiY HuW', "I [am] he; I [am] the One". Compare
 John 4:26, EGW EIMI hO LALWN SOI, which Delitzsch renders 'aNiY HuW'
 HeMeDhaBBeR 'eLaYiK in his Hebrew New Testament.

 In Isaiah 43:25 the writer combines both forms of emphasis: repetition of
 the personal pronoun I in its extended form, 'aNoChiY rather than the
 shorter form 'aNiY, plus the demonstrative pronoun HuW' on top: 'aNoChiY
 'aNoChiY HuW', literally EGW EGW hOUTOS, or EGW EGW AUTOS.

 This *triple* superlative is peculiar to Deity; compare "Holy Holy Holy
 LORD" in Isaiah 6:3 (4 in Hebrew) QaDhoSh QaDhoSh QaDhoSh YHWH.

 I don't know why EGW EIMI is repeated in Isaiah 45:19 LXX; perhaps by
 dittography? The Hebrew has simply 'aNiY YHWH, I the LORD: /ego Dominus/
 in the Vulgate. There is no difference in meaning between 'aNiY and
 'aNoChiY; the longer form is more rhetorical in prophetic utterance.
 (There was a long thread on this a while ago on b-hebrew.)

 Isaiah 51:12 has the same as 43:25, 'aNoChiY 'aNoChiY HuW'. Jerome's
 Vulgate renders this /ego sum ego sum ipse/ in 43:25, and /ego ego ipse/
 in 51:12. It's like Jesus' formula AMHN AMHN LEGW hUMIN noted above.

 Any help?

 Revd Ben Crick, BA CF