Odp: b-greek digest: September 28, 1998

From: Paweł Lutze (paulos@kki.net.pl)
Date: Tue Sep 29 1998 - 13:10:19 EDT

Commenting on the thread concerning the Divine Name, which supposedly "was
lost to the Gentile church except insofar as it was reflected in the
contracted surrogates or remembered by scholars.", I would like to state,
that there is a Divine Name clearly pronounced on nearly every page of the
Greek New Testament, and this Name is JESUS.

God, who made himself known to the Israelites under the Name of Jehovah, in
these last days "has spoken to us by a Son" and the Name of the Son of God
Jesus Christ is the only Name in which both Jew and Gentile alike may come
to the Father. The Name of Jesus contains the Name of Jehovah (Joshua =
Jehovah the Savior).

Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under
heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved. Acts 4:12

It was God Himself, who chose the appropriate language for the New
Testament/Covenant, and this language was Greek, not Hebrew, as the New
Covenant is made not only with the House of Israel, but also with the elect
from all Gentile nations of the world.

As far as I am aware, there is no known copy of the supposed "Hebrew New
Testament Scriptures". Hence we must assume it was God's will for the New
Testament to be written and executed in Greek. Also, while it is quite
possible that Matthew wrote in Hebrew, there is no basis for such assumption
in case of majority of New Testament books.

As for changing the Greek text of the New Testament, please remember what
Paul wrote to Galatians:
"To give a human example, brethren: no one annuls even a man's will, or adds
to it, once it has been ratified." RSV

If a "man's will" cannot be annuled or extended once it has been ratified,
how can we change the Greek Scriptures after over 19 centuries of usage,
even assuming the theory of the Tetragrammaton in some of the original NT
books is correct?

If God in His Providence made only Greek version of the Covenant available,
why should we reinvent the Hebrew version?

My Best Regards,

Pawel Lutze
Kwidzyn, Poland
paulos@kki.net.pl