Re: Adverbial aorist participles

From: Rodney J. Decker (
Date: Thu Oct 01 1998 - 09:56:45 EDT

>reply). What are your opinions about the occurrence of adverbial
>aorist participles of subsequent action? To put it another way, are
>there adverbial aorist participles (particularly in the New
>Testament) which describe action that takes place after the action of
>the main verb? I did a research paper about this in a graduate

If there are, there aren't many. Two possibilities are Luke 1:9 and Acts
23:35. Porter does consider this question; if you haven't done so yet, you
might check his tome on verbal aspect (pp.385-87) where he cites about 20
extra-biblical examples and a dozen from the NT. (There are none in Mark
where I've done most of my work on such matters.)

Rodney J. Decker, Th.D. Baptist Bible Seminary
Dept. of NT PO Box 800, Clarks Summit, PA 18411