Re: Accordance Error

From: Bill Combs (
Date: Mon Oct 05 1998 - 13:36:54 EDT

Carl Conrad wrote
>Actually it reads APWLLUNTO, doesn't it (imperfect middle, not imperative
>active)? I don't really see what the problem is here: the alternatives are
>active APOLLUMI and middle APOLLUMAI. I don't think there's a distinct
>passive form of the verb, even if the middle voice is understood in a
>passive sense. The middle really means "go to ruin," "go to waste," Lat.

Yes, it is APWLLUNTO. I should proofread more carefully. But I guess I am
still confused on how Accordance parses things. I thought they parsed forms
that could be middle or passage in form according to usage, and this seems
to be a clear passive usage. I notice that Bill Mounce's Analytical Lexicon
(Zondervan), p. 96, calls this a passive.

Bill Combs
Detroit Baptist Theological Seminary