From: clayton stirling bartholomew (
Date: Sat Oct 24 1998 - 14:00:26 EDT

META KAI in Acts 15:35 caused me to pause and ponder. It also caused a scribe
to pause and ponder because it appears as KAI META in Codex Bezae. I did a
little checking and found that META KAI also appears in Phil 4:3. These are
the only two cases of the pattern prep+KAI in the GNT if you are willing to
trust a search engine for this kind of information.

I looked in the LXX for the pattern prep+KAI and found 15 examples, but no
META+KAI. The bulk of the LXX examples were OPISW or OPISQEN or EXOPISQEN plus

I am wondering if placing KAI (adverbial) between a preposition and its
substantive is a classical idiom which has fallen out of use in the NT period
or if it is a hebraism. Does anyone know the answer to this?

Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point
P.O. Box 255 Seahurst WA 98062