Re: meaning of "paradeisos" in the New Testament

From: Jim West (jwest@Highland.Net)
Date: Sat Oct 24 1998 - 17:33:53 EDT

At 07:38 PM 10/24/98 +0000, you wrote:
> Is the above word ever translated as the "grave?" I know a fellow who
claims such, but I know of no scholarly work that would translate
"paradeisos" as the grave. Any comments appreciated. Thank you, Bob Marden

I have never heard anyone suggest such a thing.
I have in front of me TDNT (which, contrary to the opinion of some- a la
Barr- is still the most remarkable work of scholarship of this century)...

The word is a loan from Persian meaning "an enclosure, a park, an enclosed
garden". This article- written by Joachim Jeremias (we all need to take our
hats of to this one!!!!), spans pages 765-773.

Take a look. In a very cursory overlook I cannot find any such notion as the
one presented above (i.e.- paradise = grave). I suspect that someone has
simply heard something somewhere (on the radio or TBN perhaps ???) and taken
it as so. It isnt.

Jim West, ThD
Quartz Hill School of Theology

de mortuis nihil nisi baloni!