Re: Kittel and Co.

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (
Date: Sat Oct 24 1998 - 17:08:47 EDT

Edward Hobbs wrote:
> "Silva's criticism (and others, for that matter) of this type of study
> is that there is more to a biblical concept that a single word. For
> example, "to sin" is a biblical concept that cannot be confined to a
> single Greek word."

> But this is a gross misreading of the Kittel project. It was planned as a
> study of "Begriffe" in the NT. (Beware of an etymological translation of
> "Woerterbuch"!) Anyone who has used this remarkable tool in any depth is
> thankfully aware of this fact.
> It was begun 65 years ago, and the earlier volumes may be out of
> date in places (disagreement about which places, of course).
> Some of its contributors before 1945 were Nazis or Nazi-
> sympathizers.

Edward does us all a great favor by checking the unbridled criticism of a
major reference work. Some of us (myself included) who have read James Barr
years ago have only a foggy memory of the real substance of Barr's
criticisms. But like a pack of jackals we gang up on Kittel's, often failing
to offer any new insight by repeating third hand clichˇs. I must admit I am a
chief offender in this manner. Quick to find fault with works that have take
untold millions of scholar-hours worth of labor to produce.

Edward's comment,

> Some of its contributors before 1945 were Nazis or Nazi-
> sympathizers.

leads me to ask a new question. Has anyone ever seen a study done on NT
Scholarship in Germany between 1930-45 which specifically deals with the
ideological aspects of Nazism? This is not an idle question, one of my old
friends is a historian who specializes in this era in German history.

This question is way off topic so please respond in private.

Thank you.

Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point
P.O. Box 255 Seahurst WA 98062