Re: HYPOSTASIS of the Participle

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue Oct 27 1998 - 16:08:26 EST

clayton stirling bartholomew wrote:

> Another related question that keeps teasing me about circumstantial
> participles is the nature of their syntactical function. It seems to me that a
> circumstantial participle can be both adjectival and adverbial at the same
> time and in the same place. For example EPILEXAMENOS in Acts 15:40 seems to
> qualify as both as an adjectival and also as an adverbial. The semantics of
> the context strongly favors the adverbial reading but the word order seems to
> allow for the adjectival interpretation.
>
> I know I have asked similar questions before but the Greek participle is such
> a enigma that I just keep coming back to it.

Stanley Porter to the rescue! On page 187 (#3.2) of Idioms, Porter speaking of
the adverbial use of the participle, states:

"Most grammarians treat this use of the participle as though the participle
were modifying the verb alone. It must be remembered, however, that, although
the participle in this construction is loosely dependent upon the main verb,
it also retains its own relation to the subject of the construction . . . "

Thank you Stanley Porter for hitting the proverbial nail on the proverbial head.

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point