Re: Meaning of Philippians 2:6- MORFH and hARPAGMOS

From: Rodney J. Decker (rdecker@bbc.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 27 1998 - 06:31:33 EST

>What exactly is the meaning of Philippians 2:6? The Greek text reads:
>hOS EN MORFHi QEOU hUPARCWN OUC hARPAGMON hHGHSATO TO EINAI ISA QEWi

You might be interested to browse my web page on this text. It is not an
exhaustive treatment by any means, but it does attempt to suggest the key
issues and particularly the semantics of the key words, along with some of
the more important journal articles on the subject (Roy Hoover, Strimple,
etc.).

<http://faculty.bbc.edu/rdecker/rd_ken.htm>

All that I'll say here is that I find reference to the attributes a
considerable stretch--despite the fact that such are usually part of most
explanations of this text. There is also a key idiom involved with
hARPAGMOS (which was the subject of Hoover's diss., building on Jaeger's
earlier work).

Rod

Rodney J. Decker, Th.D. Baptist Bible Seminary
Dept. of NT P.O. Box 800, Clarks Summit, PA 18411
http://faculty.bbc.edu/rdecker/
The *Resources for NT Study* page is accessible at:
http://faculty.bbc.edu/rdecker/rd_rsrc.htm