1 Thess 2:15 ENANTIWN; LS

From: Paul S. Dixon (dixonps@juno.com)
Date: Thu Oct 29 1998 - 21:32:32 EST

Paul S. Dixon, Pastor
Wilsonville, Oregon

Carl, Michael:

Just a follow-up on our discussion on ENANTIWN
in 1 Thess 2:15.

Liddell-Scott does have ENANTIOW as a word in usage,
but quickly points out that the deponent form is far
more common. I suppose that means Paul could have
had ENANTIOW in mind as the word behind ENANTIWN
in 1 Thess 2:15, making it a participle. Ah, the beauty
of five participles versus participle, participle, participle,
adjective, participle.

But, this leads me to wonder more about deponent verbs
and their participal forms. Though they are middle/passive
in form, they do function actively. Any merit to the idea that
deponent verbs may tend to take on active forms in the

Paul Dixon

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]