From: Paul Zellmer (zellmer@cag.pworld.net.ph)
Date: Sat Oct 31 1998 - 01:33:57 EST

The phrase OUK EC ERGWN in most cases is used to speak of the
insufficiency of works to save or make righteous (see Rom 9:11, Gal
2:16, Eph 2:9, Tit 3:5). Yet James 2:21 and 2:25 use that same
phrase to argue that faith and works go hand in hand.

I am NOT looking for a theological argument here. I can see clearly
that James agrees with salvation through faith and that works are
the result of such faith. However, I am having problems working
through the grammar that results in James' arguments in these two

What, other than the editorial markings, are the indicators that OUK
EC ERGWN in James 2:21 is a question in a logical argument that
result in a translation like, "Was he not justified by works?" (I
would assume similar indicators are found in 2:25.) When I look at
the clause, it looks almost like a *statement* like, "It was not by
works that he was justified," or "He was not justified by works."
Obviously, I'm missing something basic here!

Hope you can help,

Ibanag Translation Project
Cabagan, Philippines