re: Matt. 6:11

From: yochanan bitan (
Date: Sun Nov 01 1998 - 16:06:34 EST

>"assuming" . . .
epiousios is purposefully chosen/coined as a rare coinage "cominglyous" (an
adjective built on the common participle epiousa [fs])
 we might look for an underlying Hebrew prayer that was idiomatic and
untranslatable 'word for word' behind this phrase--
this has led more than one researcher to proverbs 30.8 as a conceptual fit.
 leHem Huqqi "bread of my alotment/right" = NJV "my daily bread"!
the difficulty of translation to Greek [notice the LXX at prov 30.8] could
explain why such a strange/unique greek word was developed.
it is significant that both MT and LK keep this unpredictable Greek word.

randall buth