Re: PRWTOTOKOS, Partitive Words and listing of LXX use (64 verses)

From: Jonathan Robie (
Date: Sat Nov 07 1998 - 22:06:38 EST

At 07:08 PM 11/7/98 -0700, Wes Williams wrote:
>_A Dictionary of Modern English Usage_, by H.W. Fowler, 1994, p. 613, says:
>partitive (Gram.) ...
>P[artitive] words are such nouns & pronouns as by their nature imply the
>separating or distinguishing of a part of some whole from the rest, such as
>part, portion, half, much, superlatives, some, any, each ; the p[artitive]
>genitive is that of the word denoting the whole, which is made to depend on
>a p[artitive] word by being put in the genitive in fully inflected
>languages, but in English attached to it by of.
>The word "firstborn" (PRWTOTOKOS) is intrinsically such a partitive word.
As I understand your statement, the construction PRWTOTOKOS PASHS KTISEWS
implies that the PRWTOTOKOS is also part of PASHS KTISEWS because (1)
PRWTOTOKOS is intrinsically a partitive word, and (2) the genitive noun
denotes the noun of which the partitive noun is a part.

In Revelation 1:5, Jesus is called hO PRWTOTOKOS TWN NEKRWN. Using your
reasoning, I would think this would imply that Jesus is one of the dead,
which seems contrary to other statements made by the author of the Revelation.

Jonathan Robie

Little Greek Home Page:
Little Greek 101:
B-Greek Home Page: