Re: Particles: from Homer to the Apocalypse

Date: Sun Nov 08 1998 - 23:36:31 EST

In a message dated 11/8/98 6:52:06 PM Pacific Standard Time, writes:

 I think you may well be right here, but I'm also wondering whether there is
 also the factor of genre to contend with. The poetry of Homer may have
 called for grammatical and syntactical adaptions that the "simpler" genres
 of the NT did not. It's a bit like the Hebrew of the Psalms, which
 obviously maintains older forms and structures, not to mention just doing
 things differently for poetical effect. Anyway, just a thought...

it is certainly true that the rhythmic requirements of dactylic hexameter
require extra syllables here and there. I don't know what the most ancient
Greek prose is, but I am sure that it is nothing like Homer.

Tony Prost