From: Jeffrey B. Gibson (
Date: Mon Nov 09 1998 - 13:57:41 EST wrote:
> Also, either Christ is the actual firstborn of God, or someone else is. If the
> use of PRWTOTOKOS in Col. 1:15 is figurative, then who is it that Christ
> supplants as firstborn?
Not to be flippant, but I think a case could be made for Torah and/or
the figure of Wisdom. Perhaps what we have in the claims about Jesus in
Colossians is not incipient Niceanism or sheer ontological speculation,
but an intra-Jewish argument about where the God of Israel's purposes
are best revealed.

Jeffrey Gibson

Jeffrey B. Gibson
7423 N. Sheridan Road #2A