Re: KTISIS

From: Jonathan Robie (jonathan@texcel.no)
Date: Fri Nov 13 1998 - 08:39:31 EST

At 03:49 PM 11/12/98 +0200, Rolf Furuli wrote:

>KTISIS Is not found in the LXX except 15 times in apochryphal books, and
>this suggests a correspondence with the Hebrew BRIYA (examples following).

Clearly, KTISIS is used in the LXX to mean 'creation' when it translates
BRIYA, and this is a very frequent use of the word. This doesn't really
conflict with Carl's observation that the word historically seems "to have
been used originally and most fundamentally of the process of establishing
a colony and its fundamental sacral and administrative structures".

In fact, there are places in the New Testament where KTISIS is clearly used
in a sense closer to that given by Carl, and can not easily be construed to
mean "creation", e.g.:

1 Pet 2:13 hUPOTAGHTE PASHi ANQRWPINHi KTISEI DIA TON KURION - "submit
yourselves to every human KTISEI (institution) for the sake of the Lord"

This lines up nicely with Ed Krentz's observation that KTISIS is defined by
the list that follows it in Colossians 1:15 - the list does not contain
scenic wonders that demonstrate God's power to create (e.g. mountains,
seas, the heavens), but institutions of power ("whether thrones or
dominions or rulers or authorities"), whether these authorities and
institions are visible or invisible, on heaven or on earth.

Greg Stafford wrote:

> On another note, it was pointed out, with reference to Col. 1, that
KTISIS can
> have reference to political figures. Still, it might be better to look for
> other texts that use both PAS and KTISIS (or KTISMA), like Romans 8:22,
> Colossians 1:23 and 1 Timothy 4:4 (compare Revelation 5:13), if we are
trying
> to figure out the meaning of PASHS KTISEWS in Col. 1:15.

The 1 Peter quote given above uses both PAS and KTISIS.

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie jwrobie@mindspring.com

Little Greek Home Page: http://sunsite.unc.edu/koine
Little Greek 101: http://sunsite.unc.edu/koine/greek/lessons