Re: Fw: Mattew 24:5

From: Thomas J Logan (
Date: Thu Nov 26 1998 - 09:24:50 EST

Tom Belt wrote:

> To those responsible-
> I emailed Juan this note separately because I think the question is not
> primarily a grammatical one. But since the discussion is continuing I
> thought I'd send it in. You can determine whether or not it warrants
> posting.

Hello All

I have been reluctant to post this because it probably goes outside of the bounds of
this forum i.e. from Greek to Theology. The Greek however does not stand by itself
but stands within the context of the of the most theological of all types of
literature : a text which claims to be the very words of God Himself. It is probably
well nigh impossible in many cases to ignore the theological implications of a
passage when endeavoring to understand the Greek text within its context. In like
manner Matthew's account of the Olivet discourse does not stand alone but is
paralleled by synoptic accounts in both Luke and Mark as well further elucidation's
in Matthew's gospel itself. So therefore I appeal to.

Mark 13:21-22
21 And then if any man shall say to you, Lo, here is Christ; or, lo, he is there;
believe him not:
22 For false Christs and false prophets shall rise, and shall shew signs and wonders,
to seduce, if it were possible, even the elect.

Matt 24:24
24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great
signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very

Matthew does not contradict Mark nor himself

False Christs are those who pretend to be the Christ (Mt 24:5, 24; Mar 13:22

and a false prophet is one who denies him
(1Pe 2:1)

Sorry Carl if I have strayed too far from the purpose of this forum

in Christ