kataggellw = Haggadah ???

From: Stephen W. Kraner (rnbw_cvnt@juno.com)
Date: Thu Dec 03 1998 - 01:59:28 EST

Dear scholars,

Hello. My name is Stephen W. Kraner. I am a "little-bit well-read
layman," Sabbatarian, Feast-keeping Christian.

I obtained the e-mail addresses for this post after 3 hours searching on
the internet for scholars such as your selves. I hope that you can help
me. Here is my question:

Is there any first century documentation that can comfirm the following
observation by Alfred Edersheim that the Greek word, kataggellw, Strong's
2605, as used in 1Corinthians 11:26, equalls the Hebrew word, Haggadah?
Simply stated, Does "kataggellw" equal "haggadah"?

I ask the above question because I recently learned from Alfred
Edesheim's book, The Temple, page 232, that the word, haggadah, means:
"showing forth." According to Edersheim, "[T]he very term for the
Passover liturgy itself, the `Haggadah,' which means `showing forth,' is
EXACTLY the same as that used by St. Paul in describing the service of
the Lord's Supper." See 1Cor. 11:23-29, as footnoted here by Edersheim.

Edersheim on pages 229-248 describes the parallel between the order of
service and sayings of the Passover meal and the order of service and
sayings connected to the various texts that describe the Last Supper
where our Lord instituted what the Christian church calls the "Communion"
service or Lord's Supper.

I do not have the knowledge of Hebrew and Greek, nor the knowledge of
first century documents to verify Edersheim's claim: the Greek, Strong's
Gr.2605, kataggellw, is equivilent to the Hebrew, Haggadah. If anyone
can do this for me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Possible ways to prove or disprove Edersheim's observation are:

1. Do any first or second century *Greek* Passover Haggadahs exist? If
so, what Greek word is used for "haggadah"?
2. Are there any first or second century Greek documents that refer to
any Jewish or Hebrew Passover Haggadah? If so, what Greek word is used
for "haggadah"?
3. Are there any Dead Sea scrolls that refer to the Passover liturgy,
using the Greek language? If so, what Greek word is used to refer to the
Haggadah?
4. Are there any Greek documents using the Greek word, "kataggellw,"
that can infer a relationship to the meaning of "haggadah"?

I am aware that from the Jewish perspective, the oldest Passover
Haggadahs are from the 3rd century. Yet, I still ask the above
questions.

If Edersheim's observation about "kataggellw" equating to "haggadah" is
valid, then I find profound theological meaning to 1Cor. 11:26:

Paul describes a Christian Haggadah! "By this, [the eating and drinking
of the bread and wine], you do Haggadah -- shew forth -- the Lord's death
til He come."

Please document your sources.

Thank-you for your assistance.

Appologies to "b-greek." I do not know Greek so as to propperly
capitalize for your requested format. Sorry.

Thank-you again.

Sincerely,

Stephen W. Kraner
A student of the Word.

Get secure free e-mail that you don't need Web access to use
from Juno, the world's second largest online service.
Download your free software at http://www.juno.com/getit.b.html.