re: the German string, from another non-PhD

From: Joseph A. Weaks (fccspear@ren.net)
Date: Fri Dec 04 1998 - 01:20:12 EST

I had composed a reply on this issue, then trashed it, in fear that the
topic was off topic. But with Carl's endorsement, I will add a brief word
as another listmember who is not part of the 'academy'. I am a rural
pastor in West Texas where the sunsets reflect off of gorgeous sandstorms
and the tumbleweeds can total a car. In between combine rides with a
church member, listening to a depressed woman, or standing beside a
hospital bed, I am a serious student of the NT. In fact, I consider myself
a scholar. And, contrary to what one has suggested, those two are not
mutually exclusive.

I do not have a PhD, but have occassionally glanced at German, in hopes of
one day becoming literate, to simply open up a new realm of tools and books
to me as I study the Holy Word of God. The simple fact is that the
cooperative effort of NT studies has in modern history recorded its work in
French, German, or English. Since we preachers are supposed to specialize
in simile and metaphor, I add another: Serious NT studies without French
or German is like building a house with stones. You can do a fine job but
bricks would be even better.

I suggest that any reactionary objection to the notion of being handicapped
without the linguistic aptitude is misplaced hostility towards 'the
academy' and is the ideological equivalent of penis envy.

Under any objection, the final statement is withdrawn.

Peacefully,
Joe

Joseph A. Weaks
Minister of the Word
First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
Spearman, TX
mailto:fccspear@ren.net
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Pointe/6638/
"Let unity be our polar star." -GMP KT