Re: 1Co 14.14--"My mind is AKARPOS!"

From: Jim West (jwest@Highland.Net)
Date: Tue Dec 15 1998 - 09:53:41 EST

At 09:29 PM 12/15/98 +0200, you wrote:
>Friends-
>

>I'd be interested in arguments for understanding AKARPOS in 1Co. 14.14
>either actively or passively. Examples from extra-biblical Greek literature
>would help.

See Plat. Tim. 91c, Phaedrus 277a, Aristot. Nic. Eth, 1125a11 for the active
understanding (according to LSJ).
I couldn't find any "passive" idea in the sources I checked. I take the
word as merely denoting the fact that when Paul prays in tongues it is
fruitless, i.e., un-beneficial. But, do recall that he is addressing
Corinthians who have taken the other extreme-- so he is probably overstating
his case to strike balance in the middle somewhere.

>Secondly, there's the question of GAR which begins v. 14. It is not found in
>P46 B F G 0243 1739 1881 pc b sa. On this basis Fee argues it is "...by all
>counts not original. Its omission would be almost impossible to account for,
>either accidentally or deliberately...." (cf. Fee's Commentary, 1987, 667,
>n. 1). GAR, if original, would affect the flow of thought and the meaning of
>the passage. I'm not text critic, so any thoughts would help.

Regarding the Textual question here, I would favor omitting "gar"- it was
probably included merely to strike balance in the phrase by some well
intentioned scribe whereas its absence is neither difficult nor unexpected.
the majority of early mss delete it- and since it is absent from P46 I
hardly think it original.

>Blessings,
>Tom Belt

Best,